I am thrilled to announce that I am working with the amazing artist Niki Smit of Monobanda on DEEP. Niki and I were introduced by one of the people that played DEEP in the Netherlands in June. As soon as we got talking I knew that this was a good fit and when I saw his work, I almost wept. It was like I was looking into my own imagination. Take a look at some of his work below.
You can see some of his very first work on the project here. I am really looking forward to diving down to meet these guys.
Myself, I have had 2 days of hacking out the new version of DEEP. Part of me always loves to open a new Unity project. So clean, so full of promise. There is another part though, that gets quite nervous. I have spent far too much of my life starting new things, and not enough developing them.
So what I have gotten done so far:
- New basic environment for the player to move around in
- Created some basic level geometry in Blender
- Got the breathing controller talking to the new Unity project
- Created a placeholder HUD that responds to the players breathing. I am hoping that this will be the start of the more dramatic breathing feedback
- Implement flotation - when the player has enough breath, they float
- Implement dynamic calibration - continuously recalibrate the controller for a more accurate read
That's all for now. I'll be back tomorrow with some more news.